Journal

History of the Journal

Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, the official journal of the Japanese Society of Psychiatry and Neurology (JSPN), was initially founded as Folia Psychiatrica et Neurologica Japonica (Folia) in 1933 by then leading psychiatrists in Japan, Drs. Michitomo Hayashi, Ryuji Nakamura, Tamao Saito, Shichikuro Uematsu and Yushi Uchimura and had been published consecutively until 1937. After suspension of its publication from 1938 to 1946 due to World War Ⅱ, its publication was resumed in 1947 by Professor Tadao Kamimura in the Department of Psychiatry at Niigata University School of Medicine. Then, Folia was published as an English organ of the JSPN from 1952 to 1974, financially supported by the JSPN and the Folia Publishing Society (FPS) since its establishment in 1964. In 1975 the board of directors of JSPN decided to end the role of Folia as its official journal. From 1975 to 2007, Folia was published solely by the FPS led by the successive presidents, Drs. Haruo Akimoto, Hiroshi Utena, Yasuo Shimazono, Teruo Okuma and Yutaka Honda. In 1986 Folia was renamed to Japanese Journal of Psychiatry and Neurology and had been published under that name until 1994 (volumes 40-48). The journal’s name was changed to the current one from volume 49 in 1995. The former Editors-in-Chief of the Journal were Drs. Michitomo Hayashi, Tamao Saito, Yushi Uchimura, Tadao Kamimura, Haruo Akimoto, Yasuo Shimazono, Teruo Okuma, Yutaka Honda and Saburo Takahashi. From volume 62 in 2008 onwards, the Journal is published by the JSPN.

Page Top